Saturday, January 23, 2010

Here and Back Again

Sorry I haven't blogged much lately. It's been pretty busy - mostly with a lot of driving. The girls and I went home last Friday to see Daddy. We had a great time, went to church, and went house hunting - again. We returned Monday night.

Tuesday, we decided to make an offer on one the houses we saw. This is a pretty big deal for us since we have been looking for about 5 months. Once we decided, I got all freaked out about everything we needed to finish to put our house on the market, and decided to go home Wednesday night. I spent Thursday packing and scrubbing paint and caulk off the bathroom floor while the girls took a bath in the tub. When they took their nap, I scrubbed the tub til my wrists hurt. Thursday afternoon, I met Grandpa after work and he took the kids to their house - where they could stay until Monday or Tuesday! Thursday night, we made our offer! I also had a wonderful and long conversation with my mema. I sang to her: Amazing Grace. She had me sing it again and sang along with me as best she could. At the end, she said, "it's true, it's so true, you know?" I said, "I know Mema. Soon you will see Heaven." She said, "I already see some of it." I asked her what part she could see. "The people on the hill." I told her they were waiting for her and soon she would be with them. And I told her to save me a spot.

Friday, I spent the day working in the cold, wet yard and packing up everything else I could think of. Then, I received a series of phone calls from my mom who indicated that my mema's condition had worsened. She was in a lot of pain and they had to render her basically unconscious with codine and morphine. I gave Grandpa and Ya-Ya a call and asked if they could bring the girls back Saturday so I could leave with them in the early afternoon. Of course, they agreed.

Around 6:30, mom called again. Mema's breathing was labored; only 5-6 breaths a minute. She and Wayne thought it could be tonight or tomorrow. So, I got back into the car and drove back another 5 hours arriving here shortly before midnight. Ben left at the same time to get the girls and will leave in the morning to join us. I'm hoping she will make it so the girls can say good-bye.

So, I sit here now, beside her bed, acutely understanding the term "sitting vigil". Her breathing is better, but she is completely unconscious. I know she may never wake up. Even so, it was imperative to me that I be here with her. Before I left, I had my mom hold the phone up to her ear. I told Mema I was on my way and if she would just hold on a little bit longer, I would sing her into Heaven. I intend to do so.

She may leave us tonight - or tomorrow - or the next day. I am so thankful I can be here with her to hold her hand - and say goodbye.

Posts may be sporadic over the next few days. I will get back to regular posting and highlight some of our recent activities as soon as I can.

1 comment:

Laraf123 said...

Oh, how I wish I could have met your Mema. I'm so glad you were able to have this moment of Amazing Grace with her. This post brought tears to my eyes.