Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Weekend with the Grandma's




My mom and mema were here this weekend. They were able to arrive earlier than usual on Friday which meant more time with the babies! I'm not sure we can call them babies anymore though. They are walking, walking everywhere. Mom and mema had not seen them walking yet, so it was a real treat.

We really didn't do anything special other than our usual playing. I insisted my mom NOT spend her time cooking and cleaning my house in some way so she could just play with the girls. She did much better, but still managed to cook dinner Saturday and do laundry. Thanks mom:-)



The girls have been really verbal lately - especially Natalie. She has just been talking and talking. I'm really glad since my mema can't see. At least she can hear them playing and talking. It makes me so happy that she is here to be with them. She has been the most wonderful grandmother and I want the girls to know her.



Really, Natalie and Abby are so blessed in the grandparent department. Ben's parents have been just wonderful. They come up almost every other weekend to play with the girls. Although Ben's grandmother is far away, she has been able to see the girls a few times. My dad and step-mother have also been wonderful. They drove 6 hours each way every single weekend the girls were in the hospital. They would arrive about 11pm Friday night, see the girls, sleep, see the girls in the morning, and leave again by noon the next day. Since coming home, they have been able to come down quite a lot, especially over the summer. We've been able to go to my mom and mema's three times in the last year, and they come down as often as they can between my mom's on-call weekends for work.

My grandmother was such an inspiration and blessing to me. I know I have mentioned it before, but whenever I'm around her, I am reminded of all our good times together. It wasn't the things she bought us (I can't remember what we received for Christmas or birthdays - probably a number of Barbie dolls!), but it was the time she spent with us that mattered. It was the little things: always showing up in time for school to get out so she could take us to Dairy Queen for a snack; making us macci (mac and cheese); telling us stories, especially our favorite - The Snake and the Rabbit. As we've gotten older, we have been blessed for her to become our friend.

Because my own grandmother has been so wonderful, I am repeatedly grateful that Natalie and Abigail are forging such special relationships with their grandparents. They are so incredibly blessed.


I love the girls in hats!

No comments: