Friday, November 21, 2008

Vomit - fest Nov 08 - not for those with weak stomachs

They say if something sounds too good to be true - it probably is. Specialized milk at 45 calories an ounce...babies only needing to drink 15-18 ounces to get more calories than they ever have before...a miracle in the making. Ha. Our saving grace - Resource Just for Kids 1.5k/cal. turned out to be a big fat teaser. Until we stopped it two days ago, the girls had been throwing up for two weeks. Usually both would throw up at least once, sometimes more than that. It was so sad for them. And so gross for me.

I have to say that vomit is one thing I do NOT to well. I never have. I even have to close my own eyes when I throw up myself or I'll just throw-up more. In general, baby vomit isn't too bad. Since they don't eat much, it's just milk, and prior to this past week, usually a small amount. Recently though, it's been really gross. The Resource is very full of fat and very rich. Since they weren't digesting it well, when they threw up it looked like curdled milk or cottage cheese. Yuck. Just to be more clear on how thick and fatty this stuff is: I left a sippy cup in the car over-night. When I got it out, the milk was solid - like hardened grease on top of chicken broth. No wonder they couldn't digest it.

So, as of two days ago, we went back to 100% Pedisure. They only had small episodes yesterday: Natalie just had a little spit-up, more like reflux. Abby started coughing in Target and threw up some, but I really think it was due to the coughing more than anything. Today (Friday) has been entirely vomit-free. Yea!!

We are going to try to Resource again - in smaller quanities and more slowly. We pretty much switched from Pedisure to staright Resource. We are going to wait until Monday and then start a 1 oz Resource/5 oz Pedisure mixture. If they tolerate that, we will add another ounce after a few days. Maybe we can at least get up to half and half which will really help with the calories.

Just a note: from the Preemie forum I am on, I know there are some kids who throw up multiple times a day, every day. They often either have really bad reflux or allergies to lots of different foods. All I can say, is God-bless the parents of these kids. Cleaning up vomit and changing clothes over and over sucks. Changing the sheets of a crib (which is way harder than you think) sucks too. I now have even more admiration, respect and awe for those parents who deal with it on a daily basis. I am not worthy.

No comments: