Saturday, February 27, 2010

Bone Update

Abby is doing very, very with her broken clavicle. At about 12 days out, she has started moving it and using it more. She still doesn't reach up with it, push on it or pull hard on it, but she is reaching out for things, and starting to color and eat with it. The most delicate times are when changing her clothes - and when we forget and start to pick her up the wrong way.

Someone suggested to me I wrap an Ace bandage around the sling to hold it in place. I did this for a few days and it was very effective. Yesterday, I dropped the sling and just used the bandage. I think it did help Abby, but it's most important use was to remind us that her arm is hurt. It's helps us to remember not to pick her up under the arms or hold that hand.

Abby has learned a few phrases to help us remember too. "No touching, no touching" - usually if it's already been moved wrong. "Be careful with my arm, Mommy" or "Watch my arm Mommy" when I get her in or out of her car seat so I don't hurt it.

Natalie showed a great deal of compassion for Abby by rubbing and kissing her arm when we told her about it. She forgets about it though, as easily as we do, because if Abby has something she wants, she has no hesitation in trying to grab the arm or push her.

So, over all, Abby is doing very, very well. A doctor in our church said that if you put two clavicle bones in a room, they will grow together. So far, they are mending as easily and fairly painlessly as expected. A follow-up X-ray in about another month will make sure she has healed properly.

For now, it hasn't slowed her down. She's quite the little trooper.

2 comments:

Anne said...

I'm glad to hear she is doing well!

Anonymous said...

Time for big girl beds