Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My Achy-Breaky...Clavicle

One little monkey climbing out of bed
she fell out and broke her...

If you can't see the very prominent break in her clavicle, I suggest you visit your local eye doctor.

Which little monkey, you ask? Well, the prize for 1st broken bone goes to our little Abby.

Yesterday, about 3:30pm, during their (non)nap time in which Abby had already presented me with poopy fingers, she tried to climb out of her bed and fell right on the floor. I heard the thump - and then the crying. When I rushed in, I found her on her hands and knees, crying, of course.

Nap time was clearly over, and I spent some time checking her out. She had a bump on her head but knew her name and her sister's name. (I would have asked her the name of the President but that seemed futile:-)) She calmed down after a short while and didn't seem to be in intense pain. We read some books and she identified what I asked and named things she pointed to. I wasn't too worried about her head - or anything else at that point.

An hour or so later, she was still periodically crying and seemed unhappy if she moved her right arm too much. I did a few tests - asking her to grab something above her head (she refused - even chocolate) and decided we might have a problem. I called our doctor neighbor who agreed if she still had a reduced range of motion in another hour or so, I should probably take her in. She fell asleep in my arms for a while and even in her sleep would react if I moved her arm or pressed her shoulder. My mom happened to call around this time who insisted I take her to the doctor, citing her experience with my sister when she rolled off a table and broke her clavicle as a baby.

Fortunately, Ben was on his way home, and about 6:30 Abby and I headed off to a local Urgent Care for x-rays. This was my attempt to avoid the ER. They had us back quickly - and just as quickly booted us out. As soon as the doctor was told she also bumped her head (and was sporting a little abrasion), he said we had to go to the ER to be evaluated for a CT scan. Great. They did kindly refund the $20 I had already paid, so at least there's that.

I took the time to get gas, since I didn't want to walk to Duke, and a quick drive-through dinner for Abby and I. We settled in to the Duke ER about 7:30 to wait. And wait we did. The ER was full - with many pitiful, sickly-looking people with masks. I just praying we didn't catch something awful. 6 hours later, and with NO head CT, her little broken clavicle was confirmed and, finally, home we went.

Abby was really such a trooper though. She was so, so good at the ER. She finally fell asleep on me about 11:30 and got an hour or so of sleep before we headed home.

I have to tell of one sweet, sweet thing between Natalie and Abby. As we were in the car leaving for the doctor's, Abby was saying "Nanny, Nanny?" I told her Natalie was staying home with Daddy. Apparently, at the same time, Natalie was crying and asking for Abby and Mommy. Ben distracted her with the ever-useful Wonder Pets. A little later, Ben was sitting with her on the couch and asked Natalie if she would pray with him for Abby. She immediately bowed her little head and put her hands together. Ben prayed and Natalie appeared to be praying too, or at least repeating what he said. After Ben's in Jesus' name, she gave a hearty, Amen! Then she promptly asked, more Wonder Pets, please. :-)

For the most part, there's nothing the doctors can do for a broken clavicle. They told me it's the best bone to break though, because it heals to quickly and without any real intervention. Basically, her own discomfort will keep her from using it. They did give her a sling - which she can only wear under direct supervision for fear of strangling (in other words NOT while sleeping or playing out of our sight). That's if she will wear it, of course. She wore it a while today, but her elbow slips out of the pocket so her arms basically hangs straight anyway, so it's pretty useless. Cute sling, though:-)

For the most part, Abby is fine. The doctors saw no reason to scan her head. She'll take it easy for a while and her shoulder will heal.

I am a bit disappointed that one of the few things Abby has inherited from me is a propensity for broken bones. She even beat me to the punch as I was 3 when I had my first break - a severe concussion and skull fracture from falling out of a moving car. Five concussions and four breaks later, it's a wonder I'm as witty and charming as I am:-) I'm hopeful that this was a fluke for Abby and not the beginning of a childhood pattern.

At the very least, I do think she's learned her lesson for now. I've been asking the girls if they are going to climb out of their beds again. Natalie grins and says, "yes!". Abby's eyes get wide and she vehmently shakes her head while she answers "NO!" Hopefully, the lesson will stick.

1 comment:

Anne said...

Poor Booey! I do hope she is on the mend soon!