Tuesday, February 10, 2009

On the mend...

I think we are on the mend. Well, Natalie and Abby seem to be. Ben and I feel like crap.

Saturday was the first day in a week the girls don't have a fever. This is a very good thing. It should mean the new antibiotic is working.

Speaking of the new antibiotic...I actually went to the ER with Natalie Saturday because she had what appeared to be blood in her stool. Of course, after we arrived, Ben called and said Abby had the same thing. We figured immediately it had to be the new medicine. So, I told the doctor who looked it up and it turns out a red discolored stool is a rare side effect on 1-2% of patients. Figures.

So, $75 and 2 hours later, we are back home. Natalie ate 3 or 4 oz of her milk - and immediately through it up. This is happening with both of them and I can't quite figure it out.

Monday went pretty well. They still have runny noses and coughs, but they have energy back and are playing. I went back to work Monday and took all the kids to the park since it was a balmy 65-70 degrees here. Natalie and Abby had a great time. They ran all around, climbed up everything and went down the big slides - all by themselves!

Unfortunately, they still aren't eating very well. I weighed them yesterday. Oh my. It wasn't good at all. In fact it was far worse than I imagined. Abby weighed only 17#11oz. Natalie was 17#10oz. Staggering - in a bad way. Well over a pound lost. They now weigh less than they did two months ago. I'm pretty bummed about it. They were doing so well. We have an appointment with the Duke SICC sometime in February or March. I was so excited to go in and show how much they've gained. Now, I'll get the bad looks and concerned faces.

At least we are on the mend. Ben and I are doing slightly better. I can breathe now, which is nice. Ben felt pretty bad last night, but hopefully today is better.

Let's hope the girls go on an eating spree.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad the girls are feeling better. It was so nice to see them for a while on the first Saturday of my visit but soooo disappointing that we were not able to have our PJ party and girlie visit later in the week. Just talked to mom and she said they are coming for this next week-end and I should fly right back down there!! Oh well....guess that's life! I will look forward to a time in the future when we can have some special time together.....
Hope you and Ben are back to "normal".....
Love You All....Aunt Susie