Thursday, December 10, 2009

Eating Christmas Miracle

I am so happy to report that my girls are beginning to eat like normal children.  This morning Abby ate 1.5 pieces of sausage, and few bites of egg, a few bites of banana, and a bite of bread.  Natalie ate one sausage, some egg, banana and a bite of toast.  I am so excited.

The "not-so-much-formula" experiment is going well.  They are now only getting two bottles: one at nap of lactose-free milk, and one at bedtime of bright beginnings.  Everything else is food.

Sausage has long been a favorite food, as well as most kinds of fruit, especially grapes.  I swear they can eat a pound of grapes in a few days.  Eggs are also becoming highly coveted.  They have eaten as many as 4 eggs in a sitting (between them).  One night last week, we had eggs and ham for dinner.  My mom scrambled 7 eggs.  When they were gone, I made 4 more.  3 adults and 2 kids ate 11 eggs!!

-------

I started this post a few days ago on a particularly good eating day.  I may have gotten ahead of myself with this "miracle" bit.  Our very-good-eating-day was followed by our not so good day yesterday where they ate one piece of sausage, half a bowl of manderian oranges from Wendy's each (of these they would have each eaten 2 or 3 bowls had I bought them), one chicken nugget each, a few spoonfuls of chili liquid (NOT the beans or hamburger), about 4-6 oz each of some chicken and rice soup, and only one bottle for the day.  A not-so-great-eating day. 

But, I'm not getting discouraged.  Just like "regular" toddlers, some days are better than others.  I'm still pretty excited when I see Natalie and Abby spooning soup into their mouths or devouring a whole cup of grapes.  It's actually been just over 2 years since we first brought them to Mema's - that first November.  We were starting the one ounce, every 2 hours feeding schedule.  I remember how we struggled for 30 minutes each hour (for each baby) to try, try, TRY to get them to drink one ounce of milk.  Measure out an ounce some time and see how little it is.  The saddest thing is: most of the time we failed getting them to drink even that.

Now, they are drinking 9 ounces a bottle on a daily basis, eating cups of fruit, bowls of soup, patties of sausage, nearly a whole box of mac and cheese, ice cream, crackers, eggs, chicken, rice, and anything with chocolate.

We've come a long way, babies!

1 comment:

BenC said...

I remember all too clearly! Babies, Daddy and Mommy are very very proud of you both!