Sunday, December 20, 2009

Working Class Girls

Natalie and Abby have officially joined the ranks of working class America.  They have each earned their first dollars.

Saturday, after our Santa excursion, we went for a bite to eat at a nearby restaurant.  While in line to pay, a woman commented on how well behaved they were and how cute, etc.  I thanked her, of course, and we chatted a bit.  After leaving the restaurant, we popped in next door to Goodwill.  After buying a few plain white T-shirts for bibs and some books, we were getting back into the car, when the woman came up to me and handed me two one dollar bills.  "For their piggy banks," she said.  I was quite surprised, and thanked her profusely and wished her a Merry Christmas.

Mom, on the other side of the car, missed part of the exchange and when I told her what she did, she was also quite surprised.  Mom said the woman had been sitting near us and had spoken to mom about the girls when I was in the restroom.

I'm not quite sure what to think about the whole exchange.  It's not every day people hand me money on the streets - or in parking lots.  Maybe the girls reminded her of her own children or grandchildren or the children/grandchildren she wished she had.  Maybe she was really impressed they were so well behaved instead of running loud and wild as kids are prone to do nowadays while their parents watch or ignore them completely.  Maybe she just thought they were super cute.  Hopefully, she didn't think they looked they needed the two dollars.  I mean, I was wearing my best jeans and my best pink Johns River Valley Camp T-shirt (a pretty swanky outfit, for me.)

Whatever her reasons, I thank her.   She did a very kind and generous thing in the spirit of Christmas and it is a story I will remember forever and be sure to tell the girls.  So, thank you, kind woman in Franklin.  I hope God blesses you ten-fold for your kindness. Merry Christmas.

2 comments:

Anne said...

How sweet of that woman!

Love the new photos of the girls on the blog profile!

BenC said...

sweet! I've got them folding laundry, you've got them earning money, it won't be too much longer before we can live the easy life wifey!