Saturday, October 13, 2007

Girl's first colds

Poor little babies. It's really tough being sick when you can't blow your nose. Little Abby developed her first cold starting Monday. She stopped eating by mouth on Tuesday so we had to put the tube back in (see previous post). Natalie started showing signs early Friday morning. She actually even ran a small fever yesterday - just about 99 degrees. I called the nurse line but apparently they don't even consider a fever a fever until it's 102. I really wasn't worried, but since she's a preemie I figured better safe than sorry.

We have saline drops to loosen the mucus and the "buger bulb" to suck it out. The girls hate that. I can't blame them. I wouldn't want someone sucking stuff out of my nose. The cold is worse on Abby since she already has a tube taking up half of one nostril.

The biggest result of their colds is that neither is eating very well. With Abby, of course, we can just feed her the rest in her tube. With Natalie, we just have to hope she's eating enough to maintain through this cold and that her intake will increase once she's better.

The other result - Mommy thinks she's caught Abby's cold. I also started getting a sore throat on Friday. I've felt pretty well today, but tomorrow may start the stuffy phase. I really hope not. The thing is I can't figure out where the girls caught this cold. No one has been sick around the girls except for allergy symptoms. Maybe I picked something up at all those doctor's appointments...

No comments: