Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Pregnant Women and Babies...

Why does everyone want to touch them?? I never actually had perfect strangers try to touch my stomach when I was pregnant. It was probably because I didn't really start to show until just before the girls were born. I've heard many pregnant women complain of this though. I did have my first stranger reach out of touch my baby.

Natalie and I were at the eye doctor last Wednesday. There we were sitting quietly on the adult side of the office (avoiding the kids on the kids side). Natalie was happy in her car seat and I was filling out paperwork. Along came a little old woman. Well, she wasn't that little, nor that old, but it sounds better. She marched right up to the car seat, ogled the baby, and reached right out and touched her hand. WHY do people do this? I know they are cute and cuddly, and I've been tempted before myself, but I know better. Maybe next time I'll reach out and stroke their face or tummy or rub their head? Hmmmm.

Actually, I have these little signs (courtesy of my sister) that hang from the car seat or stroller. They say "Please wash your hands before touching mine". I did have it on the car seat, but the handle was back and it wasn't visible. So, my next line of defense is little signs I've made and laminated. They read, "Preemie Baby - I have a low immune system, please keep your hands from mine". There's a little smiling face to make it nicer. Ben thinks I need to make a visual sign with hands touching a baby and a line through it - like a no smoking sign. He thinks people won't bother to read my sign. Of course, I've seen people stand right in front of no smoking signs and smoke, so, hey, what can you do? I have taken to keeping a blanket covering the car seat so the babies are hidden. It would take a bold soul to walk over and actually lift up a blanket to see a baby. I'll let you all know when it happens:-)

No comments: