Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Let's Start at the Very Beginning...A Very Good Place to Start

Don't worry, we aren't going back to the VERY beginning, just a month or so.

We travel back in time to July and our many fun adventures...

July 6th

Ingram - Vernon Hill, VA
Poppy, Natalie, Harriett, Mommy and Abby

We took a Sunday morning to join my dad and Peggy at Ingram Christian Church. Many, many moons ago (when I was 9-11), my dad served two little churches in Vernon Hill. Some of the people at Ingram remained close friends of my dad's. Fifteen years ago, when my dad really needed them, they were there for him in a way no one else was. He began preaching there again twice a month. When he took his church in Luray, he and Peggy continued to travel to Ingram about once a month. Their trips are more infrequent now as their lives are busier and the dear congregants at Ingram grow older and more frail. Now they have services every few months and for special occasions.

The congregation at Ingram is very dear. With their matriarch, Harriett, at 97ish years strong, they embody the verse "where two or more are gathered in His name", God shall be in the midst of them. Sometimes, there are only two or three. These precious people have been so kind to our family throughout the years and they have followed and prayed for Natalie and Abigail and longed to see them. We were so happy to be able to take Natalie and Abby to visit them.

We arrived at the end of the service and were able to say hello to a number of people. We then joined Harriett at her daughter, Nancy's, house for a lovely lunch. It was so wonderful to visit with old friends. Natalie and Abby also discovered the joy of banging on a glass door.
Just for the record, I did offer to clean off the fingerprints.

The trip was short, but it was so good to see a place I called home for three years. I have a lot of good memories of Ingram: singing for the church (usually after being asked ON THE WAY to church); drinking the leftover grape juice after Communion (a PK perk); standing on the large grill-like heaters and making our skirts and dresses flare out; trying to read books during church and getting caught; helping light the candles as an acolyte; running around and playing in the church yard.

We were grateful to spend the day with Poppy, Nanny and the folks at Ingram. We are even more grateful for their support and prayers of our family. They have truly been a blessing.


July 19th - more long, lost friends


I guess July was the month to reconnect. July 19th we traveled to Greenville, NC to visit some more old friends, Nicole and Kevin and their little boy, Lucas. As a special treat, Nicole's parents, Jerry and Gayle, were also there. Our families go waaaaay back. Jerry and Gayle were in my parents wedding - 40 years ago. My mom and Gayle were pregnant with Nicole and I at the same time (I'm a month older). Together with Guye, their son 2 years older, and my sister, 2 years younger than me, we had so much fun together. We used to play tag around their house in Burlington. I also seem to remember an annual watching of The Wizard of Oz. We also got together nearly every New Year's Eve to ring in the new year. We kids would congregate in Kim's bedroom(the biggest and best complete with TV, VCR and bathroom), while the grown-ups toasted in the New Year.

It had been a long time since we had seen each other, however. Nicole and Gayle were at our wedding nearly 6.5 years ago, but it had been even longer since I'd sen Jerry or Kevin. Our first meeting with Lucas had just been at the girl's birthday party, but with all the chaos, we barely had time to say hello.

We had so much fun hanging out with everyone and sharing some Lexington BBQ. Lucas was also a very good sharer and pretty good about Natalie and Abby taking over his toys!

July was definately a month for catching up with old friends. My goal now is to not let so many months and years go by until we see our friends again and also reconnect with other friends we haven't seen in a while.

----------------
I don't think I'm quite done with July, but it is getting late. Stay tuned for more news. I promise it won't be so long this time. I have a lot of catching up to do:)

No comments: