Sunday, June 17, 2007

A Father's Day Ode to Ben

I've taken care of a number of kids over the past few years. Often, I've brought them over to play and even had them spend the night. Poor Ben was very tolerant - even when they woke us up in the middle of the night. Even so, they were always "my kids" - under my care and my responsibility. Ben always said he'd get excited when the kids were his own. He was so right.

I will never forget the look on his face when I showed him the positive sign on the little stick. He was unbelieving but ecstatically hopeful when he asked, "really?!" Ben was so excited and happy.

He was absolutely the best husband any pregnant women could ever have. He tried to do everything for me and even rubbed lotion on my feet. I once asked him what was the best part of me being pregnant. He replied, "getting to pamper you". And he really did. I've never felt so special and taken care of.

When we found out something was wrong with the girls, he was incredible. During all the hours at the hospital while I was having ultrasounds and procedures, he rarely left my side - not even to eat. At night, he would lay his hands on my belly and pray for our little girls. When I was hospitalized for the long haul (which only lasted a day), he packed his bag and moved in too. When Natalie was born, he said, "she's so small". His hands were shaking and his voice was full of love and awe. I'll never forget how he sounded.

As I've watched him with Natalie and Abigail, he is everything I knew he would be. The way he speaks to his daughters is hard to describe. His voice has more love, tenderness, softness, and joy than I can describe. I love to hear him tell them how much he loves them and how proud he is of them.

When I look at my girls, I can't wait for them to experience what a great father they have. Ben has already planned a secret tea party for their first birthdays. (I don't seem to be invited:-)) What makes me most happy is knowing that from Ben, Natalie and Abigail will learn what to look for in a partner. They will learn that real men treat their wives with respect and love. He is kind and loving, selfless and forgiving. He treats his wife like a queen and his daughters like princesses.

I know that Natalie and Abigail will love every minute they spend with their daddy. I can't wait to watch them grow up together.

I thank God for the incredible person Ben is. He is the most kind person I've ever met. It is an honor to be loved by him, and together with Natalie and Abigail, I have a family more perfect than I could have ever dreamed. I love you so much, Ben. Thank you for being who you are. Happy Father's Day:-)

No comments: