Friday, June 8, 2007

If we were boys...

Since I shared the stories behind the girls' names, I thought I'd share who they would have been had they been boys. I know I'm always interested in what might have been - especially when I was pregnant since I was always on the hunt for good names.

So, if they'd been boys...

We actually had quite a debate. I was desperate for a little boy named Walker. Of course it's my maiden name, and when I babysat for a little boy named Walker I fell in love with the name (and the boy!). However, Ben was less than enthusiastic. He finally agreed that if we had a second boy at any time, he could be Walker. So, when we found out we were having twins, I thought I might get my Walker after all.

But we had to pick a first boy name first. We settled on Joshua. Actually, it was pretty much the only name we both liked. The middle name was easy - as with a girl, we were using sibling's names. So, thanks to Ben's brother, we had Joshua Jeffrey. Since the two boys was a possibility, we needed a middle name for Walker. As with the girls, we wanted something with meaning. After much consideration, we settled on Walker Rickman. Okay, it sounds a little weird, but Rickman is the maiden name of my great-grandmother, Pallie Rickman Winstead, my mema's mother. The Rickman's are from the mountains of Franklin, NC, where my mom and mema now live. Every August there is a Rickman family reunion. I've attended these reunions off and on my whole life. The Rickmans are a very special family. They've lived on the mountain for generations and are loving, God-centered and family oriented and being apart of their family is an honor for me. Bearing the Rickman name would have been a badge of honor.

So, Joshua Jeffrey and Walker Rickman it would have been. If we ever have another child and it's a boy, I will fight once again for Walker, only then it would be Walker Jeffrey. And once again, I'll probably lose:-)

Have a great day everyone!

No comments: