Sunday, June 17, 2007

Wow!


So yeah Johelen was right, today and yesterday were great days for me. Yesterday I got to hold Abigail for the first time. It was amazing! It's called Kangaroo Care. They basically put her against my bare chest so there skin-to-skin contact. It's supposed to help the child to bond with the parent, not to mention being a very cool thing to get to do with your child.

She's so small and light, yet so warm. She started out crying a little bit at first. Her little cries are like a baby kitten and it melts your heart. At that moment you realize, you'd do anything for her.

When the nurse placed her on my chest, I was a little nervous about holding her wrong. But I quickly figured out that it didn't really matter that much. It's hard to hold something wrong that fits into the palm of your hand. Speaking of hands, both girls need to get a manicure. Their little fingernails hurt when they scratch as they open and close their hands. Abby seemed to do very well with the kangaroo care and her heart-rate went down and her blood oxygen went up.


Natalie reacted in pretty much the same way, although she didn't tolerate it as long. She was also making a little vibrating sound, almost as if she were snoring. It was a little disconcerting at first, but then I realized she was just taking after her old man. Natalie is so small and more delicate than Abby, but she is a strong one. She kept trying to move her head and squirm around, more so than her sister. But she got some quiet time with me which was good.

All in all, it was a great Fathers Day. If I'm half the dad my Dad was to Jeff and I, I'm doing good. I can't wait to hold my girls again, to take them home, to love on them, and to give them all I can. They are so precious to me.

No comments: