Wednesday, September 19, 2007

And Baby Makes Three...

We have a baby. After 128 days, we arrived with little Natalie this afternoon about 5pm. Grandpa and Ya-Yai were waiting for us. Poppy and Nanny had been at the hospital with us all day and were following behind. Nana arrived about an hour later. Jeff and Reagan also arrived later in the evening. It was wonderful having everyone there. We had all the grandparents, except my mema, who is still at home recovering from her fall and broken tail bone.

Everything went really well this evening. We both have so much confidence taking care of her - especially after rooming-in at the hospital. We had to feed her at 6, soon after we were home. After that, Natalie was able to entertain everyone in the living room being held and hanging out in her bouncy chair. Mommy was actually in the office most of the evening making charts and fixing tags for medicine. Mommy is in prime chart making mode. Sometimes a little OCD comes in handy!!!

Everyone but my mom left about 8:30. Poor Ben went to bed - he was exhausted. I have the first night shift. It works for me since I'm a night owl any way, and frankly, too excited to sleep. My mom held Natalie while her milk went in and I pumped. She left for a nearby hotel shortly thereafter. I settled in to the rocker to hold and rock my little girl. I am a Mommy. I am a Mommy. No matter how much I say it - it seems unreal. Sometimes I think I'm just babysitting. I've decided my mantra as a parents (at least one of them), is to live in and enjoy the moment. A cross stitch mural hung on the wall in the kitchen of our many homes when I was a child. I memorized it long ago (and thought I was quite clever, by the way:-)) It read:
"Cleaning and Scrubbing can wait til tomorrow
for babies grow up
we've learned to our sorrow
So quiet down cobwebs
Dust go to sleep
I'm rocking my baby
and babies don't keep"

Even as they have been in the hospital, I've reminded myself of this little poem. Sometimes, I'd look around and think of all the things I needed to do and thought I should do them instead of go to the hospital to see the girls. Then I'd remember - "cleaning and scrubbing can wait til tomorrow - for babies grow up we've learned to our sorrow". Off to the hospital I would go.

Tonight, I thought of all things I needed to do: all the stuff from the hospital to put away; bottles to prepare; medicines to prepare. Then I remembered - "babies grow up we've learned to our sorrow." So, I settled into the rocking chair, turned on the lullaby CD, and rocked my baby - 'cause babies don't keep.

No comments: