Sunday, September 16, 2007

Night One Rooming-In - 11pm

So - here I am...in a comfy hospital room with a bed that inflates and deflates of it's own accord and a sink that is stopped up. The bed has something to do with adjusting to pressure points and preventing bed sores. The only way to prevent it to unplug the bed. The engineer man is currently in my little bathroom trying to unclog a very stubborn sink.

Ben and I arrived around 5:30pm. We were very excited to take possession (at least partially) of our girls and start being parents. That was 5 hours ago. So far - no babies. I'm not quite sure why. They had to eat at 6pm so we feed them their bottles. Natalie did quite well taking all but 2ml. Abby took 29ml. So after the feeds was the change of shift. The nurse who took over wanted to asses them first of course. But before that could happen, she was changing another baby who projectile pooped on EVERYTHING - blankets, bed and wall. Yes, wall. So, she spent a while cleaning that up. By that time it was nearly time to eat again. I'm not sure to where the 3 hours disappeared, but away they went. The girls had some residuals (leftover milk in tummy) so they had to wait a little longer to eat. Nat was still being feed at 10:15. So, the nurse decided she would check their vitals a little earlier than the 12am normal time and whisk her down then. So, maybe by 12am, I might have a baby - who is supposed to eat again then.

(The plumber guy just left - even after two bottle of extra- strength something that turns the whole pipe hot to the touch with its acid AND actual plunging - he can't fix the sink. So - sink full of horrible acid stuff and I guess I'll have to brush my teeth in the toilet.)

Speaking of babies - I'll actually only have Natalie tonight. There's only one monitor set up in this room. This actually confuses me a great deal. I mean, don't they ever have other twins?? It seems like it's taken a great deal of discussion to figure out how to have two babies in this room. It just seems strange to me that we are the first people ever to do this. Anyway - one monitor - one baby. Tomorrow they are hoping to get a portable monitor for Abby. The home health agency did deliver our monitors and I brought them. Unfortunately, the guy didn't show us how to use them and no one here knows. They are also supposed to arrive tomorrow to show us how they work.

All in all the evening is off to a slow start. Poor Ben actually finally went home. He has to work tomorrow and there's only one bed anyway. And since we didn't have a baby to practice anything on... He'll be by tomorrow and maybe stay tomorrow night with me. Or maybe he will sleep at home to be well rested to pull the first overnight shift at home.

It's nearly 11:30pm - the appointed time for me to return to the nursery and hopefully pick up my child. I'll keep you posted...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you!
Christie