Tuesday, December 4, 2007

We're famous

A month or two ago, I posted a letter to the editor of TWINS Magazine on their website in response to an article about TTTS. One of the criteria always mentioned for TTTS is a monochoronic pregnancy. I wrote about our situation of having TTTS with a dichorionic twins. My point was to suggest that perhaps all twin pregnancies needed to be closely monitored for TTTS.

Well, I actually received several emails from them stating they researched it and only found one other documented case of di/di TTTS. They think it occurs if at the placenta is differentiating at the exact moment the egg splits (or something like that). I was quite impressed they emailed me back.

Shortly after that, I received a call from the editor of the magazine. She wanted to speak to me about our situation. I left an email for her to call me since that was easier, and today she did!

She is writing an article about it for the January/February issue! Isn't that neat? She agrees that twin pregnancies should all be closely monitored.

I think it's neat that our girls could help make a difference in the medical community at large. We were lucky our OB had us do so many ultrasounds. If she had not - who knows what might have happened. I'm hopeful that close monitoring will become the standard for all twin pregnancies.

No comments: