Friday, July 27, 2007

Mommy meets the new NICU...

...and, well, it didn't go very well. Mommy doesn't care much for Durham Regional's Special Care Nursery. The nurses are fine and nice, but it's the little things - like the long sleeve (read HOT) plastic-like gowns to have to wear, and the hard wooden rocking chairs without cushions which make holding your baby for hours oh-so-much-fun. My "favorite" new thing is the incredibly stupid visitation rule. Each baby can have two visitors which can either be parents or grandparents. End of sentence. Period. That's the whole list. So, that means that my sister, Ben's brother, our sister-in-law, my aunts and uncles that live near by, friends, or Ben's cousins who are coming from Atlanta to see the babies can not get into the room to see them. No one. They can stand at the window in the next room and peer through as we hold them up like auction pieces. Mommy is very, very annoyed. Also, the lactation consultant gave me a look because I was late today getting there for a lick and learn with Natalie, later gave me a thinly disguised lecture on the importance of being on time, and also acted like I just fell off the turnip truck when it came to holding my baby. She kept her hands under her the whole time like I was going to drop her or something. AND, the speech/OT lady yesterday refused to let me give Natalie her first bottle ever because she "needed to watch how she did with it". Hello - you're sitting right there - you can't see her from a foot away? Yesterday was my first visit, and ultimately I got so upset I had to leave for a while.

Anyways...I'm often not particularly fond of changes, and this is definately one I'd just as soon as skipped. We would have been perfectly happy staying at Duke until they came home. I know, I know, other sick little babies need to be there more than we do, but that's not going to make me feel much better when I can't take anyone to visit my babies. I have a feeling before this is all over, I will have a few strong words with whoever is in charge.

Okay, I'm finished whining for now. Sometimes, you just have to vent...

As die-hard Tar Heel fans, here's something I never thought I'd here myself say..."we love Duke, we love Duke, we love Duke!"

2 comments:

BenC said...

Preach on sister...errr wifey!

Anonymous said...

I am with you on the on everything you have said, and I know how you feel. Just remember it is hard that it keeps your family out, but it also keeps other babies people out too. When my daughter was in the NICU I remember the uncle of the baby beside her coming in and had a VERY bad cough. Its hard I know. Good Luck to you and your family.