Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Predictions...

It's very early on Tuesday morning, July 31. Today the girls are 12 weeks old and 37 weeks gestation. We've been on this NICU journey for 84 days. Wow - when I write that, I can't believe it. Has it really been that long. Ben and I were talking, and it just doesn't seem like 3 months have already passed. When the girls were born, their due date and target home date seemed so far away and we couldn't imagine how we would make it. Now, there is light at the end of the tunnel and the forecast looks great!

Here are my prediction:
Abby
* Abby is steadily gaining weight. At this rate I think she will hit 4lbs by August 8 - in one week.
* She is now receiving at least 3 of her 8 feedings a day by bottle and taking all or nearly all of each feeding. I think she will take all of them within the next two weeks - by August 15 - her 3 month birthday.
* With all her progress, I really feel that Abigail will make it home by her due date - August 20 (a Monday). I think she'll come home at about 4 lbs 9 oz.

Natalie
* Natalie is doing really well, but is still almost 11 ounces behind Abby. She had some setbacks in growing, but she seems to be taking off now. I predict that she will hit 4 lbs by August 15.
* Natalie is also doing well with her bottles, but again, started almost two weeks behind Abby. She is trying 3 bottles a day as well, but not eating them as completely as often as Abby. I think she will need an extra week or two and may come home around August 31.

Regardless of how accurate my predictions are, I feel fairly certain that Abigail will come home before Natalie. This is good and bad. We hate for the girls to be separated again. It will also make visiting Natalie complicated as I'm pretty sure Abby is not allowed back in once they send her home. So, we will have to visit one on one. The positive side is that Ben and I will have a chance to figure out how to take care of one baby before we have to figure out two!

If we ask the doctors about them coming home, they just say things like, "it depends on them". I think they hate to build up any hopes. But, I am less concerned about being wrong, so I have started seriously preparing for life with Abby in 3 weeks. We have organized their closet and begun the finishing touches on the Nursery. I'm also going to be in high gear wrapping up loose ends (like paper work, insurance stuff,etc.) and get their scrapbooks up to date. Life is about to take off!

No comments: