Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Ode to Duke's nurses - Angels among us

We are so sad to be leaving Duke today for Durham Regional and leaving the wonderful nursing staff who have taken such good care of our babies. We've gotten to know a few of their primary nurses well as we see them almost everyday. Noel, Gina, and Brenda have been wonderful. They have taken to our babies like they were their own. We are so grateful for such kind and loving people to be there for our babies when we couldn't be. There are others whose names I don't know but whose faces always brought great comfort and security knowing they were there. My dad says that he prays for the nurses at every change of shift. I thought this was such a beautiful idea.

There's an old song by Alabama that I have always loved:
"Angels Among Us"

I was walking home from school
on a cold winter day.
Took a shortcut through the woods,
and I lost my way.
It was getting late,
and I was scared and alone.
But then a kind old man
took my hand and led me home.
Mama couldn't see him,
but he was standing there.
And I knew in my heart,
he was the answer to my prayers.

Chorus
Oh I believe there are angels among us.
Sent down to us from somewhere up above.
They come to you and me in our darkest hours.
To show us how to live,
to teach us how to give.
To guide us with a light of love.

When life held troubled times,
and had me down on my knees.
There's always been someone there
to come along and comfort me.
A kind word from a stranger,
to lend a helping hand.
A phone call from a friend,
just to say I understand.
And ain't it kind of funny
that at the dark end of the road.
Someone lights the way
with just a single ray of hope.

Chorus

They wear so many faces,
show up in the strangest places.
To guide us with their mercy,
in our time of need.

Chorus

To guide us with a light of love.

I truly believe there are angels among us. Some of them, we can't see. They are those beings created specially by God to do his bidding and serve His purpose. They have appeared through time to teach, to guide, to save or to exclaim the goodness, mercy and love of God. There are also human angels, in the most literal sense of the definition of the word. Coming from a word that means "messenger", God's human angels are also there when we need them - to love, to care, to comfort, and to be tangible reminders of God's love for us. We have been so blessed to be surrounded by so many angels, both, I believe, from heaven and from earth, and we are so grateful.

No comments: