Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Just a quick "milestone" update

I know... I have so much to blog. I'm trying to get things done now so I can blog tonight... but I wanted to get this down before I forgot.

Abby did some neat things yesterday. We've been working really hard on showing the girls how to drop things INTO a container. They are great at taking things out, but had not quite grasped the letting go and dropping motion. Yesterday (June 2), Abby dropped several things into a container - several separate times! It was pretty neat to see her finally "get" it. I'm sure Natalie will be doing the same in just a few days.

We've also been trying the sippy cup and the straw. Figuring those things out is much harder than you'd think. It's nearly impossible to show a baby how to suck. It's like trying to teach a toddler how to blow their nose. It's something we all do as second nature. We don't realize how my technique there is to it until you try to teach someone. In any case, we've been offering the sippy cup and straw at very irregular intervals. They mostly just try to chew on it. But, yesterday, Abby managed to suck enough to get a little water through the straw into her mouth! I was pretty excited since I know how hard it is, and since I have no idea how to help her learn it.

I'm going to make a real effort to offer the straw and sippy cup every now. I think trial and error is the only way to learn. It's a little sad though, watching them trying to figure out the sippy cup. They were trying and trying and trying today - turning all which way trying so hard to get to the juice** - and mostly failing. Poor babies. Hopefully they will catch on soon.

If anyone has any brilliant suggestions on teaching straw and sippy cup use - feel free to leave a comment:-)


**A word about juice...it's so true. Never say never. I don't think I said I would NEVER give my babies juice, but I definately was against the idea in general. It's mostly sugar (even the organic stuff) and as no significant nutritional value that they aren't getting somewhere else. I just never saw the point of juice. But, here I am - offering juice. My defeat is two-fold: one: I thought it would entice them more to try to straw and sippy cup, and two: juice has more calories than water, and at this point every calorie counts. So, I offer juice. The better not get too used to it though...once I'm not afraid they are wasting away it water and sugar-free lemonade for Natalie and Abigail!

1 comment:

Judith and Jason said...

Good for you for attempting the sippy cup fun!!! Nina still is not on sippys. I try and try but then I end up letting her drink her bottle b/c I know she'll drink it and get all the calories from the milk!! AUGH!!!