Monday, July 14, 2008

Monday weigh in

So, guess what happens if you are a baby and you don't eat well all week? Nothing good.

Tonight's weigh-in (moments ago) has left us in a severely depressed mood. For the first time EVER, Abby has lost weight. Last week she weighed in at 16lbs 2oz. This week, 15# 15.5 oz. Natalie remained exactly the same at 15# 5oz. At least she didn't lose any weight.

I'd just decided that I wasn't going to worry about them. They were wearing little outfits today that showed their thighs, and truthfully, they have pretty chunky thighs for babies who are supposed to be wasting away. I had decided that Natalie and Abigail seem to know what their bodies need and we'd just have to trust that they were drinking what they needed. Well. I'm throwing that theory right back out the window.

So, back to worrying, back to obsessing, back to trying to squeeze in every possible feed and every possible calorie. I'm not really sure what else to do. If we feed more solids, they seem to stop drinking formula...I guess I can try to fit in an extra bottle. Maybe I'll start doing an 11pm bottle and then staying up and doing a 1:30 bottle.

It's so sad. The babies don't seem to know they are dangerously close to malnutrition. They are currently on the floor beside me playing with envelopes. They are the kind with the plastic windows so they are nice and crinkly. They are laughing at each other. And, just now, Natalie let go and stood along for about 10 seconds - her record so far. Yet another developmental milestone on its way to being conquered. Not too shabby for starving babies.

But, man, I really hated seeing that weight go down.

No comments: