Thursday, August 23, 2007

The days fly by...

Is it Thursday already?? I get so easily behind. How does that happen? Well, here's the news...

Tuesday Abigail had her eyes checked again. I was very pleased they went ahead and checked them as I had asked. Her left eye showed even more improvement. The right eye, the troubled one, was "stable". I guess that's good. They will check them again in 4-6 days.

Tuesday morning the girls did well with their feedings. Speech fed them at 11am and Natalie took her whole bottle! Abby took 40ml of her 55ml feed. Later that evening at 8 and 9pm, Poppy and Nanny took turns feeding the girls and did quite well. Natalie again took a full feed. Abby only took 22ml, but she was half asleep the whole time.

Obviously, Poppy and Nanny were visiting on Tuesday. Our dear friend, Laura, also visited on Tuesday. I was able to sneak her in by saying she was from our church, which is true. She was able to hold Natalie and it was darling.

Wednesday
Wednesday was frustrating for Mommy. I tried to breastfeed both girls and neither would have anything to do with it. I was very frustrated. I have great milk production, but the equipment to transfer it falls a bit "flat". Later that evening, Ben and I had a little talk. Ben was wonderful and very supportive. I just have to remember to stay calm and realize that they will eventually get it - when they are ready.

Wednesday evening also saw a visit from Aunt Kimmy. Ben has two bracelets, so Kimberly put one on and they never even blinked about letting her in. It's been over a month since she's seen them and they are a lot bigger now. The visit was short, but we are so glad she could see them. I know the girls were thrilled.

Today - Thursday - was a nice day. I was at the hospital from about 2 to 7:30. They moved the babies around in the room so we have the whole back corner. There's also no one on the opposite side of the room, so really we have the whole back half of the room, which is quite nice.

I tried breastfeeding Natalie at 2pm with the help of Speech and Cathy, the lactation consultant. It didn't work. I did manage to stay much more calm this time. I ended up kangarooing Natalie while Speech bottle feed Abby. They tried putting some thickening stuff in the milk to see if it helped her any. It didn't. She only took 15ml and worked hard for that. So, no more thickening stuff and better luck next time. I also took some time to kangaroo Abby. I really enjoyed just holding and enjoying my little girls.

Here are their recent weights:
Abby
Mon - 2310
Tues - 2365
Wed - 2425
Thurs - 2425 (5lb 5.53oz)

Natalie
Mon - 1899
Tues - 1968
Wed - 2040
Thurs - 2045 (4lb 8.135oz)

As a side:
You may have been wondering why my dad, step-mom, and sister were visiting in the middle of the week. Unfortunately, we had a tragedy in our family this week. My cousin, Dustin, was killed in a motorcycle accident in Burlington on Saturday night. He was only 21. They were all here for the funeral on Wednesday. It was a very sad for all of us, especially Dusty's father and brother. Unfortunately, Dustin had a tough life during his short time here. He had bi-polar disorder and had struggled with the disease most of his life. Although his passing is tragic, we have all been comforted that his suffering in this world is now over, and he is finally at peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the new pics! Don't worry about the nursing...when they sent us home with Miller they told me to supplement w/a bottle because we were still struggling w/nursing (not giving you advice when I say this, but I didn't supplement, use your best judgement) but he caught on. It took a while though. You're doing great!
Christie