Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Admist our Joy...

Some of you may remember that while in the hospital, we met a family from Caswell County (near Burlington). My dad grew up in Caswell so we felt a bond. Their little boy, Jacab aka Buddy, had Vacterl Association. Vacterl is defined as a "nonrandom association of birth defects" that affect multiple body systems.

Buddy was born around the same time as the girls; I think is birthday is in the next two weeks. He was in the hospital longer than the girls and readmitted several times. He had multiple surgeries, procedures, and complications.

In the end, it was too much for his little body. He died May 9 - just before Mother's Day.

I have kept up with his CarePage (like a blog) and was so saddened to read the news. I have thought of his family often. I can not imagine the heartbreak of his parents.

Reading about Buddy's death caused me to pause and once again reflect on the miracle of Natalie and Abigail. A Mother's Day without a child - it could have so easily been me. Once again, the guilt at having such healthy children hits me. Buddy's parents were faithful Christians. They prayed, their families prayed, their friends prayed, and perfect strangers prayed. They all prayed for a miracle and for healing. But God didn't grant their miracle.

I will never understand why some babies live and others die. I will never understand why my Natalie and Abby were graced with life and health. I will never understand, but I am so thankful.

Please remember little Buddy, his parents and his grandparents in your prayers. They are enduring the most horrific of pains - the loss of a beloved child.

May the peace of the Comforter promised by Jesus surround this family. May they find light in the darkness and hope in the promise that they will one day see their little boy again. Amen.

No comments: