Saturday, May 3, 2008

NICU Reunion


Last weekend we attended the annual Duke NICU reunion. It was nice to go back and see some of the girls' nurses and doctors. I was proud to show them how big and healthy Natalie and Abigail are. We did miss seeing a few of our favorite nurses, but I guess someone had to work that day!

There were a number of door prizes and gift bags for everyone. We ended up with several nice things. We almost won some of the "special" give-aways. They had a prize for the smallest baby (at birth). Natalie was very close at 1.5lbs, but there were 2 1.4lb babies. There was also the "longest NICU stay" award. Again, we were close with 4.5 months, but were beat once again by the same two babies as above who each had 5 month stays. Granted, these are not prizes for which one wants to have an experience that qualifies, but since we already did - might as well win prizes:-)

In actuality, it made me realize once again how blessed and down right lucky we are. Natalie was born at 604g which is really, really, really small. The fact that she has done so well is truly a miracle. When I realized that we'd had one of the longest NICU stays, I was kind of surprised. I guess I thought all babies stayed in the NICU that long. It's weird how one's perception of "normal" becomes skewed.

Every day I read a blog or hear a story that reminds me of the miracles that surround me. I am so amazingly grateful.

No comments: