Friday, May 23, 2008

Cushy Motherhood is Over

Until this past week, my schedule with the girls has been pretty cushy. Ben would get up at 7am and feed them. They would then go back to sleep until 10am, or 10:30 or 11am. Mommy LOVED it. Especially since I'm usually up until about 2am. I was lucky; I knew it. But, now, those days are over.

For the past week or so, the girls have NOT been going back to sleep after their 7am bottle. I had hoped it was a short phase and they would start sleeping again, but no such luck. They are establishing new sleep/wake patterns - mostly involving less sleeping and more waking.

So, the current schedule goes something like this:
8ish - girls begin to stir. I absolutely refuse to get up before 8am. I'm trying to push for 8:30. I have no desire to get up at the crack of dawn for the next 4 years. So, they will play in their beds until about 8:30am.

9ish/10ish - Either first bottle then solids or solids then bottle. I'm still working out which way they will eat the most of their bottle.

11ish- 12ish - in beds for cat nap/quiet time

1ish - Second bottle

2ish - nap - (or in the case of right now - playing in crib NOT sleeping)

HOPEFULLY 4:30-5ish - babies up and third bottle
(more solids in here somewhere)
8-9ish - 4th bottle and bed

12ish - 5th and final bottle

Daddy really gets the good end of this deal. Obviously there's no reason for him to get up at 7 and feed them if they aren't going back to sleep. He now also no longer comes home at lunch. And their 3rd bottle is before he gets home. He might be home by the time I feed whoever is second around 5:30pm. So, Daddy is down to only one feeding a day! Lucky Daddy. It's not so great for the babies since they tend to eat better for him. I'm going to have to work hard to get them to eat as much as possible during the day.

Frankly, I don't love the new schedule. This morning was tough. I took a quick nap during their quiet time (maybe 30min). I finally just had to get out of the house (with the babies, of course). We went to Michael's Craft Store. It was only 12ish when we got back. It felt like I'd been up ALL day already. *sigh* Such is motherhood.

No comments: