Sunday, March 30, 2008

Cruising The World

I have just discovered how I want to spend my retirement years, or at least a few of them. I saw today on the Travel Channel today this incredible marvel called The World. It's a ship managed by ResidenSea (clever, isn't it). You BUY an apartment or small studio and live on the ship as it travels to ports of call all over the world. It's a floating condo. It's incredible.

The apartments are two bedroom/two bath with hot tubs on the verandas. You can sit in the hot tub on the deck and watch the ocean go by. The apartments have their own kitchens or you can eat at one of the restaurants on board. If I read it correctly, the food and drink are included in your yearly maintenance fees.

The apartments go for about $3.5-$4 million. Maintenance fees on the 2 bedroom, including food, are about $270,000 a year. No problem. So, I figure we have 30 years...if we save about $135,000 a year we can purchase the apartment outright. Then we only need an income of about $$350,000-$400,000 a year for fees and travel expenses at all the ports. That should cover a spa treatment or two at the on-board spa -after I work out in the fitness center following a few laps in the pool.

Seriously, it's the coolest thing I've ever seen. If I win the lottery - I'm buying me a floating apartment!! You can all meet us at the different ports and stay in the guest room:-)

No comments: