Friday, March 7, 2008

UNC tragedy

It may not make the news in all places, but this week UNC has suffered a terrible tragedy. Early Wednesday morning, the Student Body President, Eve Carson, was found murdered a few miles from campus. She was found shot several times and lying in the middle of the road. As her car was missing, it is surmised that it was some kind of carjacking. She was a senior, a Morehead Scholar, and a Carolina Fellow.

The campus, is, of course, in mourning. Once the story broke, thousands of students filled the quad to hear Chancellor Moeser speak. Thursday night a candle light Vigil was held at the Pit. From the view on TV, I suspect at least a thousand were there as well. Right now, the police aren't saying if they have suspects. I can't imagine what her family is feeling. Oddly, I actually had a class with her my last semester. She was in my recitation of my Gnosticism class. She was very friendly.

There are actually very few murders in Chapel Hill and crimes such as this are unusual around campus. It's very scary for everyone. Please keep Eve's family and friends in your prayers.

No comments: